It was four years ago today that I (along with 130 others) returned from serving in Iraq. I know there is a lot of controversy around Iraq, but I am glad I had the opportunity to serve. I know a lot of good was done over there while I was there and a lot of good has since been done. I am extremely grateful that Heavenly Father blessed me and I was able to return home safely.
Barbara Bush said “Some people give time, some money, some their skills and connections, some literally give their life’s blood…but everyone has something to give.” Over in Iraq, it was painfully clear just how short life can be. There have been too many servicemen and women who have given “literally their life’s blood” over there. Elder Russell C. Taylor of the First Quorum of the Seventy said “There comes a time in the life of all people when they must certify with their actions what they believe.” Those men and women, who have given so much, willingly served the people of this nation and a people of a nation who desperately needed their help.
I am grateful I have had the opportunity to serve in the United States Army and serve under the colors of this great country. I am grateful for my country because I have seen on a small scale how terrible other countries can truly be. Growing up, I thought that people everywhere had the same freedoms that I took for granted; now I know that is far from true. I am thankful for the people who had the inspiration to do what they were supposed to to make the United States what it is. I am grateful that I am an American.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Four years ago...
Posted by Kelly at 2:30 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Excellent post! I have never met you but I know Melanie and I think it's amazing that you serve our country. Thanks so much!!
You are truly inspirational Kelly! I have never met more amazing people than in my limited experiences and interactions with the military. Thank you for serving and I know we're all grateful you came home safe!!
What a wonderful day that was four years ago! My sweet boy prayed for you every night for a year while you were gone and I am so grateful Heavenly Father answered his prayers. You have always been one of my best friends and I worried about you constantly while you were gone. Thank you for serving us and our country. I love you!
Honey - you are the best!! You and those who serve do so much to protect the freedoms we enjoy and I really appreciate it. I think there is something special about those who are willing to give up so much of their time, energy and life to serve their country and defend the things they believe in. I love you!
Well said. I am so grateful for great brave people like you going over there. And im glad you came back safely, Melanie wouldnt be as happy as she is today. We dont like it when shes cranky. JK
VERY COOL! Thank you for everything you have done to protect my family's freedoms.
Post a Comment