In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Celebrity Sighting & Bury/St Edmunds

Saturday was a fun filled day, full of excitement. Justin didn't have to work, so we all piled into the car and headed out. We fudged a bit on the seating arrangement so we could all fit into one car. Although, car seats for children over there are more of a luxury than a necessity. Legally, yes you are supposed to use them, but it is not uncommon to see people driving with children on their laps. Anyway, we made a stop in Newmarket at the Home Base store so Karissa could get a lamp that would work using English outlets and American outlets. Shelby had fallen asleep in the car so I stayed in the car while everyone else went in. Their loss. While they were in there you will never guess who I saw. Ron Weasley! So, it wasn't really him, but it could have been. I actually saw a number of boys that looked just like Ron Weasley. I don't know if the look is encouraged because of the movies or if the movies are just that accurate.

We drove to Bury/St Edmunds because they were having a market there that day. They have brick and mortar stores there, but they have big markets all the time and I think that is where a lot of the shopping is done. First, we went through the ruins of the Abby of St Edmund.

They have this beautiful flower garden that is just through the gates. Now my trip coincided with some fabulous weather and spring had definitely sprung. It snowed and rain at home the entire time I was gone, but we enjoyed weather in the 70's with lots of sun.
Here they are, the 3 troublemakers. Jack, Shelby, and Elli. Shelby had so much fun being able to have kids (and their toys) to play with everyday. It was a big change from being home with mom all day everyday that is for sure. I think Jack and Shelby got along so well. Shelby was fascinated with anything Jack was doing and Jack liked having someone so interested in him. I enjoyed hearing Jack's brittish accent when he said "Mel, so I hear you are quite crafty". I almost peed my pants.
These are some of the ruins. It was such a nice day that there were people having picnics and just visiting all throughout the abbey. There were people flying kites and playing football (soccer). It was lots of fun.
I like the ivy growing all over this building near where we parked. We wandered through the market, Karissa bought some fruit, Justin stood in line and bought everyone fresh made doughnuts that were delicious. We stopped in Marks and Spencer and picked the kids up some summers clothes. It was fun to wander through the market and up and down the cobbled streets.


We also went out for lunch at The Lancer. This was an Indian restaurant that was recommended by some of Justin's friends. I love Indian food and thought the food was good. The chicken tikka masala was not the best I've had, but the saffron cashewnut chicken was soooo good. I have been concocting a recipe to duplicate it, but haven't actually tried it yet. I am excited to cook with my Moroccan saffron and see if I can make this dish. It was that good. I was very impressed that Jack was willing to try everything. He didn't like everything, but he did try it. Miss Elli had a variety of snacks for lunch that we scrounged up from our purses. Plus they had the fanciest chocolates that they gave you after the meal that I have ever seen. It was a fun and busy day.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Mel, it took me several minutes to figure out who this "Ron Weasley" was...the Indian food sounds good though.

Karissa said...

I had almost forgotten about those donuts.....and now I want to go back next week and eat the full half dozen myself.