In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Au revior Kelly

Today my Kelly left for France. I am going to be home for 3 weeks waiting for him to return. I hope everything goes well for him while he is there and that he will be speaking the French fluently when he returns. I know he had a long day just trying to get here because his flight was late and they bumped him so he could make another connection. It is typical when flying with Kelly to run into a myriad of problems and visit one or more cities that were not in your travel plans.

The good news is that I started playing soccer today! I have been looking for a team for several months now and was able to get hooked up with a team that plays in Saratoga Springs. It was a nice warm day and I didn't even throw up, pass out, or have to be revived in any way. I scored 2 goals and our team won Ü The good news is that we play on a smaller field with only 9 a side, that way my being out of shape is not quite so obvious. I am looking forward to playing and actually getting some exercise once in a while. The lesson learned for today is that there's a reason for wearing 2 pair of socks instead of 1 - Blisters!

Of course, as we were chatting before the game I explained that I hadn't played for about 2 years and it might be a bit scary at first. There are no age restrictions on the league that I am aware of and most of the girls seem quite young. I think I have at least 3-4 years on the "older girls" on the team. I heard a girl telling her mom after the game that I was really good and that this was the first time I had played since high school. Oh if only they knew that I am 30 now!

5 comments:

Steph said...

Bye Bye Kelly! Hope you have a good time!

That will be so much fun for you to be playing soccer again! ENJOY!

The Hyding Place said...

Mel, that is awesome that you were able to get out and play for the first time since high school. If they only knew about all the years you had to put up with Tommy. We start soccer in Clearfield tomorrow. Sure won't be the same without you there, but I'll be sure to kick some high ones for old times sake.

Kelly said...

Bonjour Mel,
Good for you scoring the two goals! I love you and look forward to seeing you again in just under three weeks!

Katie said...

im so proud your playing again! even more since you didnt pass out. so when is our dinner/movie night. im really looking forward to it. yup

Karissa said...

Melly I had no idea you had only been out of high school for 2 years!! Please call us anytime you need some company while Kelly is gone.....the kids would be thrilled to see you!