In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Monday, March 16, 2009

Adoption Training

Melanie and I just spent Friday night and all day on Saturday attending mandatory adoption training. As many of you know, we were finally approved to be an adoptive couple in January 2009 and now we are just waiting to find a child to join our family. One of the things that was apparent to me during our weekend was we need to do more to be proactive in our search for our child.

During the training there were three panels; one with adopted children, one with adoptive parents and the third was birth mothers who already placed their children with families. I was impressed by the birth mothers and their stories of why they chose to place their children into another home. I was encouraged by the adopted children and how well adjusted they were. Adoption wasn’t a big deal to them; they didn’t feel any different because they were adopted.

Melanie and I were both encouraged by the adoption training and excited by the different things we thought we could do to be more proactive. Soon, we hope to have a separate blog for adoption and where birth mothers can see us and get to know our personalities a little better. We ask you, our friends and family to help us in our efforts to find birth mothers who are looking for potential families where they can place their child. Stay tuned to our blog for future efforts and thanks for your support with this.

1 comments:

Cindy said...

Nate and I remember that training well. We actually went once a week for two months. What I remember most is the knowledge that Heavenly Father knows all his children and where each sweet baby belongs. That gave us so much comfort.