In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Friday, June 27, 2008

Morocco

Kelly spent 2 weeks in Morocco translating for a joint exercise between the US military and the Moroccan military. He worked with some doctors from the Air Force as they traveled from village to village providing dental work, eye exams, and other medical services. He was able to come home with a magic lamp (still working on getting the genie out), a tajine (fancy ceramic cooking thingy), a fancy cedar jewelry box for me, and a greater appreciation for all things Moroccan, well almost all things Moroccan.
Apparently, this is their idea of a toilet. Thanks, but no thanks. Some of the women decided it would be better not to drink fluids during the day so that they wouldn't have to use these toilets. They had normal toilets back at the military base where they were staying. I guess I'm not one for roughing it - no wonder I am not a camper!


Kelly also got to ride on a camel. He did not know the name of his camel, but said that the camel made a lot of scary noises. He demonstrated the noises for me and I was definitely scared. When riding a camel the seat is positioned on top of the hump, so you are supposed to hold on with your legs. I have learned many things from this trip that I never would have guessed I needed to know.


This is a picture of Kelly in his Jalaba (sp?). It was a gift from the governor of Guelmim. I like the hat thing, but cannot figure out how to get it to stay on my head. I am also one of the few women whose husband has an extensive collection of "man dresses". I think this trip brings his total up to 4.

I am sure everyone has seen rugs like these in people's homes, but the Moroccans take these rugs with them wherever they go. They also take their tents. Then, when they get wherever they are going, they set up the tent and put down the rugs. They even set them up at the beach. It is very fancy.

All in all, Kelly had a great experience and was able to feel like he did some good over there. He made some new friends and got to put his French to good use. I am glad that he has the opportunity to do things like this. He has learned many things and been able to experience many cultures. Good Job Kelly!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Sounds like fun! I hope you had fun on your trip Kelly. I will call you soon!

Karissa said...

I can't believe he actually got to ride a camel!! Did it smell?? And, would he be willing to make the scary noises for me to hear? Also, those rugs look like the ones in your spare bedroom...