In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Great Smokeout




Victory at last!!!! I think I finally killed the stupid animal that has been digging holes in my yard and leaving giant piles of dirt all over the grass for months! We have tried many means of getting rid of this thing, but so far nothing has worked. However, one trip to the Cal Ranch store and a chat with someone who hates yard pests as much as I do and I think I have found the answer. I bought these smoke bombs that look a lot like fireworks (why do you think I couldn't resist). Then I had to wait for the creature to dig a hole that I could find. This is harder than you might think. They don't exactly leave a little opening with an EXIT sign over it, sometimes you can find where they come in and out and sometimes you can't. But the thing screwed up - it left a good sized hole and I was able to use my new toy. It said to light the fuse and stick it in the hole and cover it with a rock. So, I lit the fuse and was noticing that it smelled a lot like fireworks too when I realized it was emitting a steady stream of poisonous gas. I jammed it down the hole and put the rock on it. Then I tried to seal the edges with all the dirt the thing had piled on my lawn. The gas was creeping up through the dirt (probably becuase my lawn has an extensive web of trails running all over under it) and I was worried it wasn't going to work. I finally managed to trap all the gas in there and only inhaled what I hope was a small portion of it. I was expecting to get up this morning and see about 7 new holes just so the creature could rub my nose in the fact that he is never going to die. However, there was nothing! Just the rock buried in the dirt where the hole had been - I didn't want to take it off too early and release the poison so I left it on overnight. I really think that it is finally dead. I can't tell you how happy I am about this. Most of all I am happy that I won't have to shovel dirt off the top of my lawn everyday for the rest of the summer. Don't worry - if it comes back or has friends, I still have 3 more smoke bombs Ü

4 comments:

Gina said...

Sounds like you had a mole. We battle with those on a regular basis. We usually set traps out for them, but it can take awhile to catch the buggers.

The Hyding Place said...

I wonder if bottle rockets would work?

Anonymous said...

So when oh when are we going to get together my dear???

Moon family said...

That sounds extremely effective! I think we might need to get some of those smoke bombs.