In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Days at the hospital

Since we were at the hospital during Christmas, Santa decided to come and visit us there. We had some other pictures I wanted to post, however, Melanie went through and deleted the ones that included her.

Since Shelby was hypoglycemic, she had a blood sugar of 21 when she was born when 50 is a normal low level, and she didn't like to eat and had a bit of an infection. Because of all this, miss Shelby was in the NICU for her stay at the hospital. Due to the limits on visitors in the NICU, only Shelby's grandparents got to come and hold her while at the hospital.

Initially, Shelby had an IV in her little hand but with the continual moving around, the IV came out so one morning, Melanie and I walked in and Shelby had the IV in her head. The nurses assured us, this was a great spot for the IV because they could find the vein easily, of course that is probably just because there was less pudge on her head. Shelby received dextrose and anti-biotics through the IV for four days.

We were told Shelby needed to maintain her own blood-sugar without the dextrose but poor little Shelby couldn't quite figure out breast feeding. We kept trying to get Shelby to eat but she wasn't getting enough nourishment on her own. Melanie and I wanted Shelby to breast-feed but it wasn't looking good at first. We then heard the nurses talking about a feeding tube being used. At this point Shelby was given a blessing by her dad and grandpa and we decided to use formula to supplement the breast milk. The next day Shelby came home from the hospital and has been great since. And Shelby is completely on breast milk, we just feed her through a bottle. This way she can maintain those chubby cheeks!

12 comments:

Gage said...

I remember when Kyler had to have an IV in his head. I thought it was so sad but it's true - they could always get a good vein when they poked him there. She is SO cute. I would love to chat with you sometime Mel. I know Shawnee is SO ready for her little one to come.

Steph said...

Brandon had an IV in his head when he was in the NICU, too. It's a very common place for a baby to have an IV. Definitely disconcerting to the mom and dad, though.

Amy said...

So many NICU stories. Mason ended up with a PIC line. It is not fun when your baby is poked and prodded. Glad she is doing so well now.

Debbie said...

Matthew was born with low blood sugar also. Luckily the IV was able to stay in his hand. I'm glad everything is going well and you have her home!

The Hyding Place said...

I'm so happy Shelby is finally here. What a cutie! Mel, I am disappointed that you deleted the pictures of you! So glad you are able to breastfeed, but sounds like you have to spend a lot of time pumping. Enjoy your baby. They grow up so fast! Bella just had her 2 month appointment last week and we blessed her at church yesterday. Each stage is so different and you'll love each one. We are enjoying lots of smiles and cooing right now.

jjlove said...

Cute Shelby. At least she got her first pics with Santa- even if not under the best of circumstances. I know the IV in the head sucks- I had 2 babes in the NICU with them. I am glad to hear she is eating well- I pumped for my first two babies, alot of pumping, but for a good cause.

Tiff and Trev said...

Congrats!!! She is such a sweetheart! I'm glad everything ended up being okay...and that she is healthy at home! Hope you're recovering well. The first week or so can be interesting :o).

Amy said...

Hey Mel, Jan can't figure out how to post a comment so she wanted me to let you know she is thrilled for you.

Karissa said...

She is already changing so much from her first pictures. I wish we could have seen you guys more while we were in town, but I'm glad you don't have my nasty cold. Hopefully I'll be able to hold that sweet little girl soon!!

heidijogoody said...

love those chubby cheeks

TeamDall said...

Congratulations! She's so cute. We saw pictures of her at Costco (in Grandma Jo Jo's wallet). She's darling and we're happy you're all okay. Keep posting.

Kim said...

Congrats to you Mel! She is so cute!!