I started working on this project many months ago and have put in countless hours. I started with a bag full of yarn and a knifty knitter loom (knitting for dummies). I made all these strips that would eventually make this fancy flag afghan that I mostly changed and rearranged the pattern for. So, after making strip after strip I finally had this:
These are not connected in any way, but since they actually looked somewhat like a flag I was quite pleased. Then I had to sew them together and work on the stars. The sewing them together was the easy part and the stars were the not so easy part. Some of the stars were sewn on and taken off and then sewn on again. Though they are certainly not perfect, I am not moving them again! I was nervous about this project the whole time (as I usually am), wondering if it would look okay. Now, it is finally done and this is what I have:
The picture is not very good, but I absolutely love it! To me, there is nothing quite like being able to create something beautiful that you can picture in your mind, but can't find anywhere. To me this afghan is beautiful and represents a summer of keeping busy while my husband was away. I have gained a great appreciation for the flag from my husband and I felt this was a perfect way to honor the flag and this wonderful country that we live in, his military service, and to accent our Americana front room. If any of you want to stop by and admire it please feel free.
8 comments:
Mel, that is so awesome! I am very very impressed. What size (color)of loom did you use? If you used a loom, then your afgan must be pretty thick, right? How did you do the stars? So, so cute. I love it. You are so very creative and talented. How did you finish the edges? A job very well done.
Melanie that is just gorgeous! What a way to honor the flag that Kelly and all our men in uniform fight for every day! You are so talented. When do you start taking orders?! :)
i admire so much that you can do make that, what skill and patience!
Mel,
You are so very talented! I am so lucky to have you as my wife. Your flag afghan is really cool and I think it turned out really well.
Mel, your crazy! Only you could sit still that long! Just kidding. It's awesome, definitley a talent I don't have. Kelly is lucky!
Wow! I am SO impressed! I knew you were crafty...but this is amazing! Wish you could share some of your talents with me...
Melly, it turned out so great!! I am especially impressed with the stars. I am getting you a new latch hook rug kit for Christmas this year. I think you're finally ready....
Melanie! That is So cute. I am beyond jealous of your talent.
Very cute blog Melanie!
Post a Comment