In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Let the Good Times Flow

I know there has been a lot of jealousy out there due to my diabetes. I mean, I am always getting to do the coolest things and have an entire shelf in my closet full of medical supplies - who wouldn't be jealous? This next little perk will take the cake. I now get the dubious honor of collecting my urine for 24 hours and then taking it to the hospital in that orange container you see below. I'm sorry, but don't they have better things to do with their time besides sort through 3/4 of a gallon of urine??? If that was my job, I would quit.
As if this doesn't sound like the most fun you've ever had, we come to my favorite part. Go ahead and read #2 on the instruction sheet:

Yes, not only do I get to collect it, I get to store it in my fridge. Kelly has determined that whatever food is in there will no longer be fit for consumption. Another highlight from the page of instructions is where it tells you that if you fill your container you can come and stop by the lab to pick up another. If 1 person is peeing enough in 24 hours to fill that container plus some of another one, they definitely have a problem. I don't even have to analyze their urine to tell you that. I've done some wierd stuff, but this one is definitely the winner. The part I am looking forward to the most: walking through the parking lot and into the hospital carrying an orange milk jug in a bag labeled Biohazard that is sloshing full of pee. Don't you just love Holiday weekends?

8 comments:

Gage said...

So after I had my boys I had to bee in one of those white things so they could make sure I wasn't dehydrated or anything. My first pee after the c-section. I filled the darn thing up and it started overflowing. It was awesome. I guess I wasn't dehydrated.

Don't make any orange juice until the container is gone. It would suck to accidentally drink the wrong juice. ew.

Gina said...

When Kirk had to do this we kept it in a cooler in the bathroom rather than the fridge. Than he didn't have to carry it through the house every time he used the bathroom. Also I wasn't very excited about having that big container in my fridge.

The Hyding Place said...

I love this post. Of course I am very jealous that you get to do this and I don't. I definitely think you should try to fill one container so you can go and get another one. How cool would it be to walk into the hospital with one of those in each hand? Seriously. See how much you can drink...and then pee. Good luck. Let us know how much you end up with. Fill it to the rim. haha

The Hyding Place said...

I just read #5 and I guess you are discouraged from drinking extra fluids. Too bad.

heidijogoody said...

Hey Melanie I found your blog off of Jens. email me your email address to heidijogoody@hotmail.com if you would like an invite to view mine!

Karissa said...

How could you have left the best part out when you told me about this? You're friend with the cooler idea is brilliant--plus that will be a lot cheaper an item to throw away since I know that is what Kelly would want do with the fridge after there has been pee in it!
P.S. My new goal in life is to have a blog post about pee....

Melanie said...

I only filled it up to 3/4 full. Very disappointing. However, I did have one deposit of 24 ounces at one time. That is a lot of pee. I learned that I generally dispense pee in 8 ounce increments.

Amy said...

I found this to be very educational and I am most jealous of you.