In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; It must be achieved.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A Fun (?) New Toy

This is a picture of yet another thing that I get to inject into my body now! I am such a lucky girl. Actually, I am very fortunate to have this little thing, but I have a bad attitude about it today. It is a continuous glucose monitoring system which will give me a reading on my sugar level every 5 minutes. If only it worked we would really have something. I just started using it this morning so we are still working out the kinks. For example, right now it is telling me that my sugar is 334 when it is really like 140. It is a touch off, but hopefully by Thursday we should be in business with this thing. It has a wicked syringe that you have to inject, but I am hoping that in the end it will be a great addition and will help me to control my sugar better. I am sure at this point you are all wishing that you too could be diabetic, right? Let me just say - it is a lot of fun.

Also, I wanted to post this picture I took in my garage.
This is the spider that was in my garage that I killed a few weeks ago. I had to swipe it off the ceiling with a broom and then hurry down the ladder to step on it before it could run away. It is a good thing I have catlike reflexes and that I didn't fall when trying to hurry down the ladder. The great news is that it is dead and it didn't even squish too much on my shoe Ü

11 comments:

Randi A. said...

Yes, I am definitely jealous of your diabetes. For sure! That looks like so much fun.
Hope it works out for you!

Mary said...

Yeah so that's a black widow. I'm impressed you didn't scream and run down the street while doing the heebe geebe dance, that's what I usually do :)

The Hyding Place said...

You have always had catlike reflexes. I have no doubt that you scurried down the ladder to kill the spider. You know we have always been jealous that you get to eat sugar gel and give yourself shots. I don't know that I am jealous about this contraption though. Hope it helps. However, I did enjoy the fact that you like to eat your smoothies with a tube of Ritz crackers. Sounds delicious. I love my magic bullet and will have to try your recipe and side snack.

Gage said...

did you hear the spider crunch? That's the worst.

Karissa said...

I need a picture that gives me a better scale of the size of that thing. I looks huge in that pic. Sorry it isn't working yet, but I hope that changes in the near future.

TeamDall said...

When I was little (like 10) I wanted to be diabetic so that I could drink skim milk. My mom drank skim milk and the rest of the family drank the milk from the cow at the barn. It's one of those trials you can tell your kids about--like walking uphill to school both ways in the snow.

It took me a while to realize that being diabetic isn't worth the skim milk.

I hope your new pump works great. And that you don't have to stockpile Glucagon under your pillow:)

p.s. best wishes with the spider. RoseAnna can totally sympathize with you.

Meghan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Moon family said...

Ok, I can't believe you squished a black widow with your shoe! You are brave! I had to kill one on the side of our house the other day and used a hose and a shovel! Last year we had one in our garage too (I also killed with a shovel) and one in our cupboard I was lucky enough to find. YUCK! They are freaky spiders!

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

I hope your new blood sugar monitor makes life a little easier for you. You DO have a good attitude about it- it is ok to have a bad day once in a while.

And that spider is giving me the heebie-jeebies. YUCK! Last summer I found five black widow spiders around our house over the course of the summer but they were outside. I'd go nuts with the bug spray if I found one in my garage. YUCK YUCK YUCK!

Rachelle said...

You have a great attitude, but I'm not jealous of that fun little contraption at all! I do hope that it works though so you can keep things closely monitored. The spider is just gross. I'm glad I live in a house with all boys who think smashing things is cool.

camihubrich said...

Yikes. No spider is a good spider. I might have pooped my pants a little bit.