
I have always felt very close to my Grandma, from the time I was four and walking to her back yard calling out her name until she heard me she even responded in the hospital a few days ago when I called out her name. Grandma and I were always close; she treated me like a friend rather than just a grandchild. I felt like I could always go to Grandma with a problem and she would offer her advice, which I may or may not have taken; but she would allow me to use her as a sounding board to help me figure things out. I have a lot of good memories of doing things with Grandma, just going out to eat or shopping for something or just hanging out at her house talking about whatever topic seemed to interest us at the moment.

Grandma always seemed so concerned about how my life was going, giving me advice: from how to woo the pretty girls, to what I should be studying in school, to where I should be working. I know she was relieved when I finally met Melanie and I told her that I was going to be married. I know Grandma loved Melanie too and I am sure she felt less concern over me now that there was another woman in my life to give me all that free advice, which I still may or may not take.
There were times that Grandma and I didn’t necessarily get along 100%. Sometimes when she would call me at six in the morning to come and work in her yard, I was a little annoyed. And of course I am sure she was annoyed the day we finished laying carpet on the patio only to have me dump half a gallon of paint on the new carpet! We somehow managed to overlook these things and still would do anything for the other at any time. I would come up and help her and she helped me to replace the freshly painted carpet with a smile on her face.
I remember Grandma used to say that she didn’t have any favorites, that she loved all of her grandkids equally. I believe this is true, even though my cousins would tell me that Grandma loved me more. I just think that we shared a special bond that kept us so close.

I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for allowing me to be associated with such a great woman. I love you Grandma and I will miss you. And I would still come over at six in the morning for you.
2 comments:
She was a grandma like no other!
I love that first picture of grandma. It reminds me of how she was before the stroke. I hope you don't mind if I steal it for my blog!
Post a Comment